Tuesday, June 29, 2010

On the road again (finally) part 1

After debarking from the train and repacking my pack, and changing into my hiking shoes etc, it took me a few minutes to get orientated to Winnipeg. The train station ( which by the way has the  smallest bathrooms imaginable) is located close to where I catch my bus to the west end of town. I had to ask for directions just to be sure but I think I would have eventually found it without help.

As soon as I got to the bus stop, #22 pulled up and I was off and away. There is a certain degree of satisfaction in having at least partially mastered a city's transportation system. I have taken the #22 bus 8-9 times now and its route feels like home turf to me. I was out on  the Trans-Canada by 9:30 ish. And I waited with my sign saying Calgary and my best smile painted on my face. Then I walked a bit further up to the last set of lights. And I waited some more. About 1:00 the Via train heading towards Edmonton went by in the distance, I noticed that they had added an extra dining car.


Not for the first time I wondered if I should have taken the train all of the way. I was concerned about the flooding near the Alberta border and whether or not it would cause serious problems. The fields outside of Winnipeg were noticeably wet - as were many of the fields right across the prairies.

Just after 1:00 my first ride appeared. It was a convertible!!! The first I have been in as a hitchhiker. It was pretty neat. Claude was a real estate sales person, but had taken the day off to act as a chauffeur for his nieces graduation. While I didn't see them, he assured me that he had a top hat and roses in the trunk. We talked about kids and parenting and what the Winnipeg real estate market was like. ( it is pretty hot- Claude said that there were few apartments available and that folks were bidding up some properties. He also said that there were more jobs in Winnipeg than people. It was far too shout of a ride and an hour later I was standing on the side of the road with my thumb out again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers