Thursday, July 15, 2010

On the Road Again (intermission #4)

I have been on Salt Spring for almost a week.... what a great spot. Sally's house is as crazy as ever. When I got here there were 9 children living on the property and every bed was filled. Not a problem - I dragged a mattress out on to the deck and slept under the stars. I have since moved into the room that I usually use.

It is nice to be home again (or at least at one of my homes- I am so blessed to have people (relatives and others) who allow me to share their space.

On Saturday Cohen, Kristi and Devin came to the market and then to Sally's for supper. A very special time - it was good to have one part of my family meet the other part.

I have spent parts of the last few days trying to fix Sally's deck. There was section that was rotten with holes that someone could have fallen through, The person who replaces the 4x8 piece of plywood a few years ago did a really poor job - it was only 1/2 thick,  and it was not exterior plywood - so of course it rotted. However while the one bit is done- just needs to be painted - there are other spots almost as bad....don't get me started on the absurdity of using plywood on a deck!!

There is a whole list of characters passing though the house - some of whom I know well and it is a joy to get a welcoming hug from them - others who I don't - but I am enjoying getting to know them. The range of professions extends from an environmental engineer who works on golf courses to make them more environmentally friendly to someone who spends 6 months a year in India to gardeners and caregivers who cook and clean for Sally. There are vibrant conversations and interesting moments of sharing and silence. It is a nice place to live for a while. It feels good to contribute to such a community.

Last night Sally was getting some physio on the floor while watching "So you think you can dance". While probably 100s of people have slept on her living room floor, looking at the stars through her big patio doors, and then woke up to the sun, she never has. So last night Sally slept on the floor. It was like a pajama party! From my bed I could see her and we chatted as she went through her night time routine.

Life may get better than this- but I don't see how.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers