Saturday, January 29, 2011

Playing with wool

There are times when I am consumed with playing with wool. I look forward to it most evenings - if I don;t have wool in my hand - I feel as if I have not accomplished anything that day.

I have finished washing and carding my second fleece of the season. It is an OK fleece from an older ewe and it would probably have been a great fleece if she was not so dirty. It is not the mud/manure that is a problem, it is all of the bits and pieces of straw, seeds and sticks. I have probably thrown away 1/5 of the fleece because it was unsavagable. But then what can one expect for $10.00. Actually it was probably a good deal. A great fleece that is fairly clear of vegetable material can cost $60.00 to  $75.00 or even more. So I am not complaining.

I did so well on my little bags/pouches/purses that I am going to make a pile more. A friend has suggested that one of the sizes that I had made for the Christmas sale is perfect for I-phones - so I will make 15-18 of that size to sell at the Farmer's Market latter this year.

I have one more fleece left which is a coloured fleece ( which means it is either gray or brown - in this case it gray). Think when I get it washed - I am going to tint it either blue or green - something I have not tried before . I have been told that if I do it right - one gets just a touch of green or blue amongst the gray.

But for now I spin the ewe's white ( actually it is sort of a ceamy colour) fleece and latter this week I will have enough to dye and then I start to weave.

It all feels good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers