Friday, July 29, 2011

On the Road 2011 blog #11

Jesse and I had driven for quite a few hours before we got around to where he was actually heading. We had both assumed that Calgary was our common destination. Jesse was a real long distance driver who preferred to drive in the States. In fact he was more than a bit upset that he was not turning south at some point but instead had to go Vancouver. Many of his trips took him deep into the western states. He liked it that way. He was quite happy being gone for up to 14 days. Needless to say I was more than slightly happy to hear his destinaton. He never said I could go all the way with him....but then he didn't say that I couldn't.

If I had had a choice I would have preferred to not go through the Rockies in a truck. The good news was that they drive non-stop for 13-14 hours. The bad news is that trucks don't go very fast. Jesse's truck had a governer on the engine went meant that even going downhill, his speed was limited just over 100 kilometers per hour. This meant that going up hill his speed was reduced. It was fortunate that his load was relatively light. He was carrying equipment for the BC Gaming Comission. If one would be allowed to, I would have loved to see what was in the back of the truck. Of course it is not and I resisted the temption to even mention it him. Jesse had carried some interesting cargo, perhaps the most interesting was the costumes and sets for a production of Cats. Going to see the play if for no other reason than to see how these props were used was on his list of things to do.

Regardless of the slowness of truck travel, I was thankful for the ride. No matter how slow it might feel, I was not spending the time on the side of the road waiting for the next ride. Traveling with Jesse through the Rockies also, unfortunately meant that I did would not really see the Rockies. While one has a great view of the road from the cab, the view looking up is surprisingly limited. While the windows always look large from the outside, they are rather small when one is on the inside looking out.

We stopped at a Great Canadian Super store in Regina for a quick bathroom break and for Jesse to buy some food. I am always a bit nervous when I stop. I don't want to follow them around, nor do I want to ever be too far away from my stuff. Especially after my experience of last year when I was abandoned in Wawa I was especially careful. I therefore spent twenty or so minutes in a fine mist hanging around Jesse's truck. He eventully came back carrying a large bag of groceries including some chips, two dozen oranges and some bananas. I have never seen some one eat so many oranges at one time. Jesse would put five or six on the dashbord and within in a mater of fifteen minutes peel and eat them. He could also go through three or four bananas just as quickly. He was a generous man and kept on trying to get me to eat his fruit.

At some point the other side of Calgary, Jesse decided that he was tired and pulled off at a small truck stop. We still had not decided if we were going to travel together through the Rockies. I am never too sure what to do in such situations. I really dislike having to ask for favours (one of the reasons that I would make a very poor salesman) and so I usually wait until I am offered something. It worked this time. Jesse asked if I had a sleeping bag, I said yes, and then he said "there is a top bunk- you are welcome to it"

Within 15 minutes the upper bunk was dropped down, the thick curtains were drawn around the back half of the cab and we were ready to sleep. I think it must be a requirement for a trucker to be able to drive hard and then within a few minutes they are ready for bed. I coul not live that lifestyle. Almost every trucker I have ridden with has been the same. Perhaps that is why they pick me up - quite simply they are lonely. Or perhaps it is because I am with them that they don't need stop. I sometimes wish they would stop just for the break. I know other truckers stop for meals, I have just never have ridden with one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers