Wednesday, August 8, 2012

On the Road Again 2012 Gathering #4


I was up very early the next morning. I had been told that the canoe was leaving that morning and it would be my last chance to get out. So my stuff was packed and ready to go by 6:00am. However, there was no one else up, or at least no one who was allowed to use the canoe. It was so calm that I could have easily got across the lake - but then the canoe would have been on the wrong side of the lake. At about 6:30 our friends from across the lake came over to say goodbye. They didn't have space for me on the return journey but they did have room for my pack so I took down my tent, loaded all of my stuff into their canoe and watched it sail away. I knew that I was now committed to leaving that day. All I had let with me was my water bottle and filter system.

By after 10:10 the lake was getting quite stormy. It was clear that there could be only one crossing that day. While I did not want to make the walk, there was an old dog and piles of stuff that needed to be taken across. So a sister and I decided to hike the trail while two strong paddlers took all of their stuff and the dog across. They would load it all into the jeep and drive around the lake to pick it us

Part of me was a little bit irritated that other had not been up as early as me. If they had,because the water had been so calm everyone who needed a ride across the lake could have gotten to the other side without having to worry about the rough water. BUT if they had all gotten up early I would not have had the satisfaction of  walking the trail.

It was a much improved trail. Not only was it a bit shorter but it also had been smoothed out. The scouts had done a great job to find ways to avoid what had felt like the endless climbing of hills. I was so glad I had made the hike. It was quite beautiful. The area had been logged a long time ago but there were still lot of stumps from the huge trees visible in the undergrowth. There were spots where the sun shone through the canopy, other spots where in the spring there would be a raging creek but now were just trickles of water (they still needed to be crossed over on what felt like rather narrow logs). There is something quite magical about walking through the forest. I am grateful that I had the opportunity to do so without a pack.

There were also spots that were quite treacherous. I don't think that I could have made it with my pack. There were certainly times when I could hear my cardiologist telling me that what I was doing was silly and perhaps even dangerous. But we did it together. My travelling companion was very gracious. She stopped when I needed to and there were times that I am quite sure that she stopped to take pictures just so I could get a rest.

We made it to the trail head in good time. I had had lots of water and so I was not dehydrated. I was however, quite delighted to be finished with the walking.  We waited for over an hour for a ride, spending part of that time talking to some one who was about to hike in and wondering what was taking the guys so long. Given the wind we could not help but worry as to the safety of our companions. We also saw another bear who ambled across the road just in front of us. It seemed, at least to me a fitting end to the trip.

I got out of the Jeep at the ferry terminal for Hornby Island and tried for a ride to Duncan. I got lots of rides.....just none were going very far. I ended up spending the night on the side of the road at the south side of Nanaimo. The ground was hard and I missed the sounds of running water just outside my tent. I got a ride easily the next morning and was having breakfast by 7:30 in Duncan.

Every Gathering is quite different and every person at a Gathering will feel different to every individual who attends. There are no good or bad Gatherings. Some Gatherings feel more comfortable to me than others. But this is due to my own personal mind set.One can only reflect the personal experience ...to try to do more is both irrelevant and impossible.


It was good to be back with my son and family......but I was equally as sorry that it might be a while before I camped again with my family. BUT then again - every one belongs to the Rainbow Family - some just don't know it yet ...so I am sure we will be seeing each other the trail...............

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers