Wednesday, September 5, 2012

On the Road Again 2012 #27


There was a time when the just the thought of getting through Calgary on its public transit system caused me more than a little anxiety.  It was so intimidating and confusing. There is an alternative to going through the downtown that I have been reluctant to try. The ring road around Calgary has been finished for about a year. I have never had a drive around it and therefore I don’t know how busy it is or whether travellers from the west going east actually use it. I suppose that I should see how it works…perhaps next year. But in the meantime I have “mastered” the bus system and find it quick and efficient. I still have to walk a fair bit after the last bus stop but the road construction is finished and it does not feel as long as it use to.

On the “C” train a young man started to talk to me. He was quite interested in my method of travelling and I think he assumed that I was travelling this way because I was poor. He didn’t understand that I thought it was fun. He offered to let me use his cell phone if I wanted to do. It was a kind offer.

I try not to hitchhike at the outskirts of cities around rush hour. There are just too many cars in a rush to either get to work or to get home. Most of the vehicles are not going very far and at least half of them are on the outside lane and could not get to me if they wanted to. However by the time I got to the east end of Calgary it was already close to 3:30. Rush hour had started. I settled myself down for a long wait. I had bought some extra water and was ready for whatever came my way.  I knew I could be there for awhile. And I was.

At one point fairly early in my wait a car stopped and a man got out, offered me some water, a cigarette and showed me where he was going on his map. It was not very far and it looked as if he would be letting me off in the middle of nowhere. I thanked him for his offer of water, cigarette and a drive but decided to stay where I was. I didn’t need either of his two other offers. I noticed that he stopped just up the road and picked up a local hitchhiker. Clearly the driver was a man who wanted to help someone.

Eventually a hour and half later a car did stop. It was driven by a middle aged man and his teenage son. There were going fishing an hour or so down the road and would be glad to help me on my way.  Ever since I had rejected the first ride I had been swearing at myself for breaking one of my rules….”if you reject a ride – the Gods of Hitchhiking will punish you”. I did not dare to risk the wrath of the Gods again and so I took the ride.

They were nice folks off for an evening of fishing. They had no serious intention of catching anything; they just wanted to enjoy the water, the sunset and each other. It was kind of neat. We chatted about fishing and about hitchhiking. In hindsight those two activities have a lot in common. Both require or at least benefit from a sense of patience, the capacity to appreciate the beauty of wherever you end up and perhaps most importantly to have high expectations of future events and at the same time, the capacity to accept that the future may be considerably further away than anticipated.
The dad decided that he would go out of his way and drive me to the down of Strathmore. That was great. While it was not yet 7:00 I decided to stop travelling for the night. I was dirty and tired. It was time for a shower and a decent meal. I checked into Leroy’s Motor Hotel at the east end of town, replace my shoes and socks with my sandals and hung up my bivy sack. It had gotten wet with dew the previous night and needed an airing out. I had stayed at Leroy’s before. I don’t remember when – but it all looked familiar. The room was fine, although I again don’t understand why there needed to be two double beds especially as the first bed was so close to the front door that I could barely get in. I would have been just as happy with a smaller room with one double bed, and a bit more floor space around the entrance way.

I walked across the highway, had a veggie burger at Boston Pizza and after a brief walk to nowhere, went to bed early. It had been another successful day. Tomorrow I would start the trek across the Prairies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers