Monday, September 10, 2012

On the Road Again 2012 # 31


George was an old time trucker. He loved the life. One of his first comments before we even got in the truck was “what other job can you have that you get paid to sit on your ass”.  He had been doing it all of his life – in fact he was driving a truck (water truck for a lumbering company on some back roads near Valleyview, Alberta)   before he had his driving license. George was also a bit tired and needed someone to keep him awake. I was all prepared to entertain him with my stories but I didn’t need to. He just really needed someone to listen to his. And he had lots to talk about.

So we talked about his wife of twenty some years who had died eight or nine years previously and his current girlfriend of seven years. When I mentioned to him that I had met very few truckers who had stayed married for so long he gave me exactly the same answer as had another trucker a few years back who had been married for more than 30 years. “Keep it in your pants!” George’s philosophy was quite clear and very simple…if you love and respect your wife, you won’t mess around with anyone else. That love and respect shows when you are home with her.  I suppose some fancy TV psychiatrist could have put it more eloquently – but it would have meant the same thing and would have lacked the voice of experience. I suspect it is easy to say it but it is a bit harder to live the philosophy when you are on the road for a few weeks at a time.

About an hour or so into our four hour drive he told me to sit back and relax. He had a phone call to make. He was calling his lady who live on their few acres somewhere along Shuswap Lake in BC. They talked for about half an hour about all of the normal stuff: how their pregnant dog was doing, about the weather both there and on the road, what the traffic was like and what they were going to do when he got home. He had been on the road for almost three weeks and they were both missing each other. George was very conscious that it was much harder on her than him and so made a point of calling as often as he could. Their good-byes were a bit embarrassing…. I am not use to hearing truckers making loud, rather wet kissing sounds over the phone. But it was kind of sweet. After he hung up, we didn’t talk for a bit.

George drove for a reasonably large national company. I was surprised that he had picked me up given his company’s rules about picking up hitchhikers. George was too old to care about such rules. He knew the owner of the company and said that they trusted him to make good decisions. We spent some time talking about truck jackings and other kinds of theft that occur on the road. I had never realized that it happened as often as he said it did. He was quite clear, if he had been carrying something valuable like cigarettes, booze or even fresh meat, he would not have offered me a ride. But he said that if I really wanted to I was welcome to the frozen pierogies in the back.  I told him that he was safe.

 It was a fun ride. George had some good stories and told them well.  We talked about the usually stuff that truckers and I talk about: log books, weight scales, the police, CB radios and of course his truck. His truck was pretty new and had an automatic transmission. He loved it and it shifted so smoothly and intuitively.  He, like most truckers, liked it when I praised his truck. But George also had a few things he needed to talk about that he hadn’t discussed in a long time and so as we drove through he long dark stretches between Regina and Brandon he talked about those things as well.  Nothing unusual or terrible; just stuff about family and people that he knew. Like so many of my drivers, George, while he liked being a driver, sometimes just needed to talk about things with a safe stranger.

As we got close to Brandon I asked him about tomorrow. He was planning on going as far as Nipigon and then the next day to get down towards Toronto. I was pretty sure that I had a ride all the way to North Bay. I was pretty excited. George told me that he really enjoyed our talk together and he would be glad to get me to at least Nipigon. We checked the time and agreed that we would meet at 9:15 at the east end of Brandon. We agree upon what time it was when I got out of the truck and I assured him I would see him tomorrow morning.

I walked down to the other end of town to my favourite spot to sleep outside in all of Canada. It is just twenty feet from the highway but there is a littlee grove of trees that keep me hidden from the traffic and the grass is long and soft. I unrolled my bag and bivy sack and was asleep five minutes after I laid my head down. I had made it to Brandon. I was on the schedule I had made for myself. I am sure that feel asleep smiling

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers