Sunday, January 20, 2013

Cutting My Hair



I would think that almost everyone who has met me in the last 10-15 years would, if asked to describe me, probably say "he has long hair". And it is true I do have long hair. In fact it is long enough that I can almost sit on it. And that is becoming too long.

I love the feeling of the wind blowing through my hair and how it feels on my bare back. I enjoy the looks I get from people and I especially like it when women complain that it is not fair that I have nicer hair than them! Having long hair has been fun.

But it is a nuisance. I seldom go out with my hair "free" (upbraided) because the slightest winds turns it into  a snarling mess of tangled hair; only on occasion do I walk around shirtless and therefore I almost never feel it against my bare back. It takes far too long at both bedtime and when I get up to brush it. I am tired of spending too much on conditioner, having to have a shower in the evening as I won't have time in the morning and of cleaning long hair out the sink and bathtub drains. It is time to get it cut.

In the fall as I was coming to terms with the psychological trauma cutting my "claim to fame", my identity etc, some students from the Lindsay Campus of the college announced that they were going to raise money for Rick Mercer's Spread the Net campaign. What a perfect opportunity! I like both the concept of the program and the fact that Mercer has created a charity that young people want to become involved in. So I contacted one of the organizers and made the commitment.

It is happening in 10 days time on January 30th. There are pictures up all over the school, people who I don't know are approaching me and asking questions. Some folks have even offered money to me to not to cut my hair. It seems as if people like my identity as much as I like it. Which is nice to know.

I suspect people are seeing me getting my haircut as a somewhat noble or "good" thing to do. But it is not really that noble. While it will be traumatic, I am not getting it all shaved off (12-13 inches still leaves near my shoulders). However I do think it is useful and important for people who label themselves teachers to sometimes set an example. To every once in awhile to go to the edge and rather than just talking about being actively engaged in the community, to do something.

People my age sometimes start to assume the mantle of being an elder within their community. If that is the case - then we need to lead by doing - not by telling others what to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers