Saturday, May 18, 2013

Underdogs??




I have a natural inclination to support the underdog in almost any contest whether it be political, business or even sports. It is such an overwhelming urge that a number of years ago when a political party that I had supported had finally been elected to run the province (probably the only time a party that I voted for actual won an election), I started to feel sorry for the Conservatives. In that case I did manage to control my tendency to support those on the bottom, but the temptation was far more powerful that I would have imagined. I was almost glad when my party lost the next election. I also generally avoid picking on people when everyone else is picking on them. It feels in some ways a lot like bullying. It also feels like it is too easy to kick someone when they are down.

So I am conflicted as to what to do/say about the Senator from Prince Edward Island. Even the Conservative media (such as the Sun News Network) are having a hard time finding anything good to say about Mike Duffy and his understanding of basic accounting rules.  According to all reports he has double dipped and manipulated his expense statements so that he could receive as much money for expenses (paid by us taxpayers) as possible. Libel laws prevent me from using the word "fraudulent" but it certainly seems that way. I normally would not bother to join the public outcry. It is being done by so many that it hardly seems worthwhile. Not only is my voice somewhat (or completely) irrelevant but it feels like I am ganging up on poor Mr. Duffy. Not my style at all. I could almost feel sorry for the guy. The last thing I want to do is to spend any more time thinking about the stories coming out of Ottawa. I, given my genetically endowed urge to support the underdog, may feel an irresistible need to defend him.

However during the At Issue Panel discussion on the CBC National News on Thursday, one of the participants suggested that one of the reasons why the shelf life of some of these issues is so short is that Canadians don't keep pushing for answers. That comment changed my mind about picking on public people who have done something wrong. It is not bullying to keep on demanding answers. It is, in fact, just good citizenship. We need to know that if people make mistakes (I am being generous here) that they can be held accountable. We need to know that the rules of how one manages one's life are applied consistently across the board. We need to know that those who refuse to follow those rules can be and will be punished. If one steals $5,000.00 - according to the Criminal Code of Canada - the maximum penalty could be ten years. While normally I would be happy with an honest answer and the loss of his job (and benefits), it strikes me that if we started to incarcerate some of our politicians perhaps they would start to obey the law. I am not usually a believer in the concept of deterrence as being an effective method of preventing deviancy but we seem to have tried everything else.

The real question for me is what to do. There was a time when I would have thought about writing to the Prime Minister to express my concern/displeasure. However the last time I did that, not only did I not get a response (except an e-mail from some low level staffer who promised that the PM would be informed) but I got on the Conservative's mailing list! Most of it is just junk mail but last weekend I was invited to sign the Prime Minister's wife's Mother's Day card because she is such a wonderful mother. Not quite the response I was looking for.

We don't need some special Parliamentary committee holding meetings for months and months. Can't we, as shareholders in this corporation called Canada, just give the information to the RCMP and suggest that they investigate?

Maybe I should start a petition demanding a trial for Duffy?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers