Tuesday, November 19, 2013

On the Road again 2013 pictures


I thought I would post a few of the pictures that I took on my travels. Before digital cameras were common - I would buy two rolls of film and be rather judicious in terms of which pictures I took. When I got the pictures developed I knew where each one had been taken.

Now that I have a digital camera - I can take 200 pictures - but I seldom remember where I was when they were taken. So here are a few pictures from places that I remember......

The train was stopped along a siding somewhere in norther Ontario to let a freight train go by. The little pond and the trees in the distance is mirrored in similar scenes for hundreds of miles.









Every once in a while the train passes a lake or a small community. It is always a surprise to see people doing normal things after a couple of hours of seeing nothing. It is easy, while on the train, to forget that there is life out there
 The train station in Hornpayne. There is a little grocery store that must do a roaring business every few days. Other than that there is not much to do
It is always exciting when there are patches of open ground. It makes one feel as if one is finally leaving the almost claustrophobic deep woods.


The Canadian landscape is truly remarkable. I think this picture was taken somewhere between Winnipeg and Edmonton


Every time I see a river like this, I wish I had a canoe. I would hop right out of the train or the car and put the canoe in the water - just to see where it and I would end up.

As much as I love the forest and the waterways of central Canada - there is something about that first view of the mountains that stirs my heart . Every year I look forward to that first glimpse of those majestic mountains.






This was taken in Nelson. I had a long wait for the bus that would take me to the Slocam Valley. Nelson is an interesting little town that clearly caters  to the tourist. The main streets are wide and attractive. Part of the reason why the strrets look so nice is that all of the hydro, cable and telephone wires are hidden in the back alley.

 If one goes on Ted Talks - one can hear a short presentation on how this chalk board was first developed in New Orleans. There are now similar boards in a a number of cities including Nelson BC
 A magical day with my grandsons













 Pictures of Raft Cove. I may go back - it was a pretty special place. That sand was great to look at but when it was sunny outside - it was almost unbearable to walk on, it got in ones food and it filled up my shoues.
 There were all kinds of shelters hidden amongst the logs


 This is where I spent my quiet time. You can't see it but the bivy sack is under the tarp.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers