Friday, May 30, 2014

On the Road Again 2014 Prologue #4



I leave for the west in 26 days. Usually by this point, I would have had my camping/travelling gear out, checked it, seen what I needed to wash, repair or replace and been basically packed. I would have written at least once about my anxiety/fear of making that first step into that uncontrolled (by at least me) venue that is hitchhiking. I would have created numerous lists of what I needed to do, what I would take with me and what I needed to mail. But not this year. I have done virtually none of that.

It is not that I don't have some anxiety/worries about the inherent dangers of my upcoming adventure. I am aware more than most people that there are potentially more than a few risks in travelling the way I do. I know that there might be times when I will be wet to the bone with not a willing driver in sight; that there very easily could be times when I will have to sleep outside in the middle of nowhere with perhaps a bear or two in the general area and it is a pretty fair bet that I will have at least one ride from someone who is a racist or at least far more interested in expounding their world view than engaging in any type of conversation. I also know that there are people out there who for whatever reason hurt other people. But I have always known those things and so my lack of almost over-whelming uneasiness about getting started does not concern me. What does surprise me however, is my lack of anxiety about the control - or rather not having any control over what will happen.

I am a bit of a control freak. I live alone and therefore it is easy to be in control. My days are fairly structured; when I get up in the morning I usually know what I will accomplish that day. I have low expectations of anyone doing anything for me and therefore I assume that if something needs to happen I will do it. It is a good system. Hitchhiking of course, changes all of that. I have absolutely no control over who picks me up and (to some extent) no control as to where they let me off. I am totally in the hands of someone else. Giving up control is a bit of challenge for me and in the past the transition from being in control to having none at all has worried me a bit. But not this year. And I wonder why.

I may have just postponed the conversation in my head. School stuff has hung on longer than normal. There are, for example, a couple of program issues that need to be addressed before next fall and none of the full time staff appear to be interested in having a conversation. Spinning and weaving have consumed more of my time than perhaps in other years, and certainly the fact that I am selling product every weekend at the Peterborough Market has meant that I am spending more time replacing that product. Perhaps it is simply the fact that after 12-13 years of making this trip, it feels less of an adventure than it use to. Perhaps I have finally figured out that I don't need to worry about things so far in advance.

Next week is consumed with family stuff.  By the second week of June all of my doctor and dentist appointments will be done, the car will be as fixed as well as it is going to be and as I will have no more clean wool to spin or weave, I will not be able to lose myself in playing with wool.  Perhaps then I will start that internal conversation about the absurdity of hitchhiking across half of Canada.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers