Friday, September 19, 2014

On the Road Again 2014 The Gathering # 4



It is strange that it has taken me so long to get back on track talking about the Island Rainbow Gathering that happened 40 kilometers west of Gold River on Vancouver Island. I am not too sure why but I suspect it is because nothing happened there, at least nothing of great significance or excitement. BUT in fact that is perhaps why it was such a great Gathering. People were so relaxed and wonderful that for the most part there was almost no tension in the group. Even when there were upwards of 60 or 70 people there, it just felt as if we were all really comfortable being around each other. We were all Family.

There were of course a few exceptions – but then there always is in any family. People who knew some of the history of various individuals and their interactions might have picked up on the fact that some folks avoided each other. There was a least one person there who had a very specific ( and would could argue a sometimes irritating and rather rigid) message that he shared at every given opportunity but those of us who didn’t want to engage in that dialogue just didn’t hang around him very often. But to balance him out there were, as usual, some remarkable people there who worked extraordinarily hard whether it was helping in the kitchen or ensuring that there was always enough firewood. But it was lazy living, the weather was fine (occasionally foggy in the morning but always sunny by the forenoon), there was lots of great food and the conversations around the fires was interesting and fun. People told stories of their travels, or their first Gathering or talked about their dreams for a better life. There were a number of guitars and drums with more than a few great musicians to either gently entertain or to get people dancing. We even had folks doing some reading from our favorite authors – there were even two of us who read from Thoreau!

I didn’t do much. I did my usual thing about tying a few knots in the kitchen, showing folks how to lash together a table, I created a railing to help people climb the short but steep hill just off the road on the way in and out of the Gathering and I told a few stories here and there. Certainly during the first few days I spent some energy talking about the some of the rituals of the Family and the significance of them but generally I managed to evade any sense that I was someone who wanted to be in any position including elder. People were gracious about allowing me to spend a lot of time sitting down and not doing much – my back was generally not too sore and I did little to make it worse.


One day, reasonably early for Rainbows which means it was probably almost noon, someone brought me some toast and peanut butter. It has been a long standing joke that Dave would like to have, just once, toast and jam served to him in bed. Of course that will never happen as I am up before 95% of the people. By the time I wander down to the main circle area I usually have had my tea, brushed my teeth, beard and hair and read a few lines of Thoreau. The only ones that are up before me are the ones who either did not make it to bed or who need their coffee fix. Making me toast and tea is not on their priority list and I never expect it to be but the conversation about wanting breakfast in bed is just one of the connectors that make those people my family. One person made the attempt this year to get it right. It was nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers