Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Our Newest Security Plan Bill C-51 #2




Thirty-six or so hours ago, I was feeling pretty good. I had just posted a longer than normal blog ranting about the Harper's newest attempt to prove that he is the king of law and order. It was reasonable well written and while there was much left to be said, I thought it was a good start.  I was feeling rather pleased with myself. However, I woke up this morning with a very real sense that I need to do more. What - I am not too sure - but more I will do.

I have relatively little patience for people who sit on the side lines complaining about the human condition but who do nothing to affect change. I think for the past few years I have been telling myself that teaching college courses in sociology, diversity, social policy and community development was my way of being an agent of social change. That by helping students understand how the world works, how profoundly unfair it was and that they , in their chosen profession, would have the opportunity to affect change I was doing my little bit.  I think I may have been lying to myself.  However in the meantime......

As I was eating my breakfast and perusing the mainstream mass media outlets I noted that CBC had a piece on what CSIS is not going to be allowed to do. They, according to C-51 not allowed to
            "- Intentionally or by criminal negligence cause death or bodily harm.
                  - In any way trying to obstruct, pervert or defeat the course of justice.
                  - Violating the sexual integrity of an individual." (CBC)

Good to know. The super police who are going to have the right to investigate and then arrest me with less proof than normal just because they think I may commit a terrorist act have some limits placed on them.  I think I am suppose to feel reassured that the CSIS are not going to be able to sexually assault, hurt or kill anyone in their pursuit of the terrorists.

Maybe I was asleep the day it happen.... but when did Canada become a country where we had to enshrine in law the fact that police officers or any other agents of the government were not allowed to break the law?  I think the fact that it needs to be stated says something rather profound about our country.

I also noted that there was a lot of news about the RCMP's charging of three individuals with terrorism. Good for them. According to the Globe and Mail, parts of this investigation have been ongoing since 2011 (Globe and Mail). It is interesting to note that the arrest were possible without Bill CF-51 and that it started long before ISIL became a public concern. So why do our secret police need more powers? Just asking.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers