Thursday, September 24, 2015

On the Road Again 2015 #26



I was awake before the sun was up. I had had a great night's sleep but because I went to bed so early - I was done sleeping by 6:00AM. As well, there seemed to be a number of large trucks going down the road, past the motel towards the highway. While I was not overly optimistic that I would get a drive from one of them, if I didn't stick my thumb out - I was guaranteed not to get a ride. It was very tempting to go back into town - just to have breakfast at the diner. I suspected that it would be a much busier and much more interesting place in the morning, but I had spent enough time in Gull Lake. It was time for me to head towards Winnipeg. With any luck, I could be there by nightfall.

There were stop lights at the corner of the road to and through Gull Lake and the Trans-Canada.  I always wonder if, on other countries' main highways, they too have stop lights in the middle of nowhere. Certainly if I was cruising down the road,  trying to get to some distant city, I would have been surprised to find that I had to slow down. It was not obvious that there was a little town just off the highway, or that there were other towns even further down that road.

The corner however, was very busy. Most of the big trucks that I had heard from my motel window were grain trucks, delivering or picking up the grains that had just been harvested. I knew that there was absolutely no chance that these trucks, which were really just local traffic would ever stop to pick me up. There was a fair amount of traffic on the road, but some it turned north or south off of the highway. Many of the drivers who went straight through looked as if they were dressed up for work, I knew that Swift Current was only half an hour away. I assumed that the majority of cars that did pass me we heading in that direction. It was a crazy place to stand in that the normally wide shoulder became the entrance ramp. I was forced to walk a fair piece down the road before the shoulder reappeared. Any effect that the stoplights may have had in slowing down the traffic was dissipated by the time the cars reached me.

Finally a little bright yellow car stopped and picked me up. I think it may have been the first time that I have gotten a ride in yellow car. My driver was an older gentleman who was just going to Swift Current. I say "just"  because so many people pass me by and many of them are just going a little bit down the road - some even indicate that to me by showing me their hand with the thumb and forefinger separated by  half an inch or so. Someone could have driven me to Swift Current an hour earlier if they had thought about it. Obviously in the 50 kilometres we had little time to talk about anything other than the weather. He did promise to let me out a better spot.

I am not sure if it was a better spot, but it was a spot that I knew well. It was just outside the Husky station and restaurant. It is a weird place to stand - lots of space but it is on a bit of a curve, with cars on the  right of me, heading at highway speed to the east and cars taking the off-ramp on the left, only going marginally slower.  I am never comfortable there.  None-the-less I got a ride fairly quickly although when I first saw the large pick-up truck I was not too sure what he was doing.

There is a service road down the hill from where I was standing - perhaps ten feet lower than me. In between the service road, and where I was standing is shallow, grass covered ditch. The truck went into the ditch, up the other side, across the exit ramp and pulled up beside me. At first I thought it was just some local guy taking a short cut. A bit crazy, but as long as he didn't hit me or anything else - it was just a bit of entertainment for me to watch. When I realized that he had pulled this stunt because he wanted to offer me a drive - I was a bit less entertained. Delighted for a ride - just a bit worried if the driver was always that reckless.

In fact he was not reckless at all. He just wanted to pick me up and it was the fastest way to get to me. My young driver was off to just east of Regina. Not a long ride - no more than 250 kilometres, but it was so early in the day, that I knew I would be at the large Husky truck stop in Regina by just after 1:00PM. I never had had a problem getting a ride out of there - at least one of the rides had been all the way to North Bay. I was feeling good. I had eaten relatively recently, had had a shower, my clothes were dry, I had slept well and there were drivers out there looking for company.

My driver worked throughout the west provinces building pole barns. The crew had been busy because farmers needed the extra storage space due to the bumper crop in some parts of the Prairies. I knew nothing about how one built a pole barn so I had lots of questions. From what he said, barns were ordered from a company including materials etc and then his crew were hired to assemble it. The barns were basically all the same, differing only in how long they were. They could put them up in a few days. It was an interesting conversation. The young man struck me as someone who was pretty together about his life and what he was doing. He had a great boss who treated the crew with respect - he in return recognized that that respect was in part earned because they worked hard. He knew that he wouldn't do this job forever, but the money was good and he liked the job and the people he worked with.

He was coming back from a funeral. A 18 year old girl and her father from his hometown had been killed in a motorcycle accident. It was pretty sad story only made worse by the fact that the girl's older sister had been killed just before she had turned 18. One has to wonder how the mother and the one remaining sister could cope with all that pain.

He was going another hour or so down the road - but I got out in Regina - I was looking for that one long haul that would get me home. I should learn to take what I am offered and not look for something that isn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers