Wednesday, September 30, 2015

On the Road Again 2015 #30



In other years, Winnipeg has been a bit of watershed place for me. Not only is it where I start off when heading west, but geographically, at least in my mind, it is the place where I transition from the west to the east. It is also a city that has caused me significant problems getting through it. More often than not I have been lucky and I have got a ride right around Winnipeg and have not had to deal with the complexities of getting to the other side. Other times I have stayed either in the city at a hostel or slept outside at the Flying J and then travelled through the city the next day. The problem with passing through the city is that while the bus system is great for getting to the west end of the city and the Trans-Canada, it is terrible on the east side. The bus gets one fairly close to the ring road (which technically is the Trans-Canada), but it is nowhere near where highway turns east to Kenora. Until one gets to that point, 90% of the traffic is all local and it is difficult to get a ride. The walk is noisy and dirty. There are long stretches over overpasses etc. where it is impossible to hitchhike. It may be my least favourite hike of the whole trip.

It was far too early to stop traveling for the day. However if I spent time taking the bus through the city, by the time I got to the other side, I would have wasted most of the daylight. I was also starting to feel some time pressure as I had medical/dental appointments coming up and I was still a long way from home. I decided to gamble and try to hitch from the corner of the road leaving the Flying J and the Trans-Canada. The set of traffic lights would, I hoped, slow down some of the traffic; trucks and cars leaving the Flying J would have ample opportunity to see me and I was only fifty feet away from the ramp onto the ring road. Anyone turning on to it would be in the lane closes to me. It was hot, humid and busy. There were a number of different traffic flows that were created depending upon whether or not vehicles were turning or going straight. It took me a while to understand the pattern of traffic light changes as the traffic light changes were connected to oncoming traffic, but after twenty or so minutes I had mastered it. It felt as if I there were lots of rides potentially available at least in part because I was getting quite a few passengers waving at me, smiling and pointing. While I would have preferred them to stop and offer me a ride, at least it felt as if they were cheering for me. What a change from Regina!

After about 45 minutes, a large, new looking pick-up truck stop. The guy asked me to put my pack in the back. I didn't mind doing that except for the fact that the truck had such big tyres, I was not sure if I would be able to retrieve my pack at the end of the ride. My newest driver was just going 2/3 of the way around the ring road but it was a start. He apologize for not having the air conditioning on but he had just bought the truck at a vehicle auction and the AC didn't work. I had never known anyone who had bought a vehicle an auction so I had lots of questions. One of the things that surprised me the most was the fact that no one can take the vehicles for a test ride. They get started, they can look at the engine - but whether it actually steers or has breaks is a bit of a gamble. However my driver (who was older) was an expert. He was a car salesman and knew what to look for. He was just driving the truck to the dealership where they would tune it up and then put it on the lot. I didn't ask how much he had paid for it. My guess is that they would make a fair amount of money on it when they got the AC working. I had lots more questions to ask, but before I knew it - the ride was over. 

There are some rides that make little sense to me. This driver did not strike me as someone who would normally pick up hitchhikers. I think he just did it on a whim or perhaps he wanted to show off the truck that he bought. For whatever reason - I was happy that I had made it at least part of the way around Winnipeg.

He let me off at a spot I had been at before. It had worked out well for me last time so I was optimistic about getting a ride fairly quickly. But the spot was dirty. The wind had picked up and there was some road construction happening across the highway which meant that there was a lot of dust blowing around. There was a lot of traffic and in fact it was a bit scary as cars were either moving fairly quickly, or jockeying for positions as drivers tried to get past the dump trucks before the next set of lights. There were also cars turning on to the highway. I don't think any of those drivers ever had seen someone hitchhiking on the shoulder of the road because a number of them used the shoulder to pass cars. Some of them came far too close to me for my comfort. I really don't think they saw me as they were more concerned as to whether or not they could merge into the traffic. I was glad that I was not there too long.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers