Sunday, January 1, 2017

On the Road Again 2016 (Heading West) #3



The train got into Winnipeg just after 12:00. We were told that it would leave by 1:00. That did give me enough time to run to the Forks and pick up a couple of sandwiches and then a breakfast wrap. I got back just in time - and then of course we all had to wait twenty minutes while the sleeping car folks boarded and then all of those with children or who declared themselves infirm in some fashion. Usually there is a very clear boarding pattern. Those who were already on the train get on first, and then the new passengers get on. Not this time - all economy passengers boarded at the same time.  Not all of those new passengers knew that seats with tickets above them were already in use. Consequently it was a bit of a mess as people boarded.

The Via Rail attendant has informed us that the train has been over-sold…… how can they do that? Consequently every seat from Jasper onwards will be filled. I don’t have clue what they will do with the extra people. It does mean that for my last night I will not sleep as well. But that is a night and a day away.

I have noticed that one the train from Toronto to Winnipeg there was only one attendant for our two cars. On the Winnipeg to Vancouver part of the  run there are two. I am not too sure what they do when we can’t see them….perhaps they also have to do stuff in the dining car or the sleeping cars.

Train tried to leave Winnipeg almost on time but one of the switches was frozen and then we had to wait for an east bound freight train…… so we left the city just after 3:00. In spite of trying to save some time we are still over four hours late.

I normally do not obsess too much about the lateness of the train. After all part of the pleasure of train travel is that one has no control over such things as speed, delays or arrival time - but as I am arriving in Vancouver on New Year’s Eve - I do not want to be stuck in Vancouver that night. I would guess that most hostels will be filled. I therefore need to make an early ferry to the island. Ideally I will get to Nanaimo before 5:00 and catch the last Greyhound. If not I will be stuck there over night. Hopefully one of the three Nanaimo hostels will be open and have some room. Otherwise I am not too sure what to do.  It is, I must confess, causing some anxiety.

It might be my imagination but it feels as if the train is bouncier than usual. Although right now we are moving faster than we have for the past day or so. Perhaps the engineer thinks he can get to Edmonton on time. Would be nice.

Friday morning - the train is almost at capacity already. There seemed to be a number of folks who got on at various points during the night. Of course every time people got on there is a bit of noise. Because some of the folks already on the train were about to have a seat mate - they had to be woken up which caused even more of a disruption. I think there are only three seats empty in my car. I have one of those seats. As always it appears as if people do not think I am a desirable seat-mate. Bless my beard which right now looks wilder than usual.

There is not a lot of chatter on the train. Perhaps all of those so inclined are in the dome car which is quite crowded. I was quite glad when they turned down the lights just after 8:00. I read for awhile, then I listen to another novel for a bit and then fell asleep. We were all woken up sometime around 10:00 when an alarm went off. It took the attendant sometime to figure out to shut it off. It was a small it of excitement in day without any.

Whenever I looked out the window it seemed to be either snowing or at least the snow was blowing fairly hard.  There is not a lot of snow on the ground but it does look cold and winter like every where we have travelled.

Lots of coughing but the kids are quiet, none of the adults are obnoxious and as slow as it is we are still moving west.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers