Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Here We Go Again



I like living in BC. The weather is less extreme than in Ontario, the people are nice and there seems to be enough to keep me as busy as I want to be. But much to the surprise of some of my new friends, I still miss Ontario. There is so much about that province that is interesting and attractive to me. There are occasions when I think about moving back there. But right now, there is a large part of me that is supremely thankful that I am not living in Ontario this year. I do not think that I could face the next few months of angst and political debate over the future of that province with Doug Ford now being the elected leader of the Progressive Conservatives and potentially the next premier of the province.

I suspect that three years ago many of the observers of the political scene in Ontario would have publically opined the absurdity of anyone as poorly informed as to economics as Doug Ford having a chance of either becoming leader of a major party or to become premier. However the recent events in the USA have clearly demonstrated that one does not need to have any understanding of economics or a grasp of the complex issues of the day to become a leader. In fact it almost appears as such gaps in knowledge are an asset. Ford, and those who voted for him, seem to believe that because he has attracted a solid constituent base in a corner of the Toronto suburbs, that he has the potential to being attractive to the voters of Ontario. And they might be right.

In 1995 Mike Harris of the PC was elected Premier on Ontario. He was elected because he pandered to the voters in the 905 area code area who were afraid of rising taxes and other perceived threats against their status quo. He got elected because he argued that their taxes could be reduced if we only stopped wasting money on salaries of a bloated civil service and on unnecessary social programs. Ontario suffered through two terms of Harris. I suspect that Ontario may be ripe for another era of reduced services for the promise of reduced taxes.

Ontarians may be with good cause tired of the present government. They like all other governments before them have not come close to delivering the promised utopia. And there have been more than enough scandals to exhaust the public's tolerance. The NDP appear to be a party with limited direction and even less passion; for so many voters in Ontario, Ford and his highly fractured, disorganized and inexperienced party may be the best choice to run the province.

Within popular culture it is sometimes suggested that Henry II as he was pondering what to do with the Archbishop of Canterbury said "Will no one rid me of this meddlesome priest?" I sort of wish that Henry or anyone else would wonder out loud "Will no one rid us of these silly want-to-be politician who will do far more harm than good?"

I do not wish any ill upon Mr. Ford - I just want him and others like him to go away or at the very least stop promising to cut taxes, increase spending and making everyone who deserves it - to become better off.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers