Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Toronto


Yesterday a young man in Toronto got into a vehicle and then intentionally drove it into people on the sidewalk, killing 13 people and hurting numerous more.

I can imagine, just barely, somewhere at the far reaches of my imagination being so angry that in a moment of complete impulsiveness - that I would want to kill someone. For that instant, without planning, without thought. I can also, I think, somewhere in the deep recess of my mind, imagine feeling so crushed by an invader, someone who is in my place, my country - that the only option left would be to kill them before they hurt my family. I think I understand the deep sense of frustration and anger that is generated by weeks, months and even years of bullying and abuse, and fantasying about getting back at the instigator of that abuse.  But I cannot, no matter how hard I try, no matter how deep I search those dark, hidden corners of my mind ever conceive of intentionally hurting someone who is a complete stranger; to try to kill someone just because they are there, because I am so angry at everything and everyone that the only option is to lash out at anyone.

The incident in Toronto appears to be just that, someone who may have developed some bizarre rationalization for their act - but in the final analysis appears to be someone who was not happy with the way his life was going, who perhaps thought that he as a male should receive better treatment. Someone who appears to have idolized other mass murders with similar agendas. And like so many of those who copy their childish outrage from other equally as immature adult males, it appears as if he assumed that as his final act of glory, he would be killed by the police, thus absolving himself from any of the consequences. The police did not kill him and now he will, at some point, go to trial.

There may be some who will try to explain his actions by suggesting that he clearly has a mental illness. Others on the far fringes of society will argue that the values of our society and the roles of men and women are so distorted that violence is a reasonable option. Both sets of apologists or rationalisers are wrong. He is a silly, selfish little boy in a man's body who still sees himself at the centre of his universe (and therefore at the centre of everyone else's universe). He, at least from what is known of him, deserves no sympathy and little compassion. Most of all he deserves and should get no fame.

The world would be better off if news reports never mentioned his name, if they never discussed hypothetical reasons for his acts. While those who survived the attack and the families and friends of those who did not survive need and deserve our support, that support should be private. This killer needs stop existing in the eyes in the public, so that none of those who have silly childish dreams of fame ever believe that they too will be rewarded with their 15 minutes of fame.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers