Saturday, June 16, 2018

2018 On The Road Again #3

2018 On The Road Again #3

The train, at least in the economy section was not very full. There were lots of seats available but only a few met my rather specific needs. I like to be on the right hand side - I sleep better leaning against my right side. As well, I like to be in a seat where there is not a window column obstructing my view. In the first car there was only one seat left that met those criteria. After I talked to the conductor, got myself settled in and started to get comfortable, I realized that the seat back had lost some of its padding and there was a metal rod digging into my back. I packed up my stuff and moved to the left side of the train.

I am glad I did. The view was so much better There were numerous lakes, rivers and swamps on the left side. The sun was on that side and the water fairly glistened. It was quite beautiful and did much to make me glad that I had decided to take the train as opposed to the bus.

The gentleman in front of me is European - when he talks to his friend across from him, it sounds as if he is speaking in one of the middle European languages. He has just done something that I have never seen before, at least not on a train. The gentleman got a pot of water, plugged in an immersion heater (I have not see one of those for years) and heated the water. He then mixed in a dried food package and had supper! I am not too sure if that is allowed - but as long as he doesn't start a fire or perhaps even more likely burn himself - I imagine no one will care. The conductor strikes me as far too young and non-assertive to say much.

I would like to say that the trip has been without unscheduled stops but alas I can't. We have had two - the first was fairly short - the second seems to have been longer. While I know that I have no control as to when the train will get into Winnipeg and that my only choice (to stay sane) is to relax and not worry, it is hard not to be aware of the problems I could face if we arrive in Winnipeg after midnight.

One of the advantages of getting on the train after 5:00 PM is that bedtime comes soon. By just after 10:00 I had gotten my sleeping bag out, blown up my neck pillow, found my eye shades and was trying to remember how to get comfortable enough to get a good night's sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers