Wednesday, July 10, 2019

2019 On The Road Again #3


I wondered as I sat looking out the window and listening to my music if one of the reasons why there was so little interaction between the passengers was that there was nothing to complain about. The train was sort of on time. In fact, there were times when I think we were a bit early. There we all were, not exactly squished together, but certainly, closer than strangers would like to be with no natural stimulation or excuse to talk. As well in the earlier years, economy passengers were allowed to go to the dining car and have breakfast. This meant that we were able to meet people and have a civilized meal, sitting down. Now, economy passengers are restricted to a takeout window that serves meals in cardboard boxes, the contents of which are eaten in one's seat. As there are only two cooks, the waiting line (in a very narrow corridor) to order is long and then it is an equally long wait for one's name to be called. On the plus side - there is a bit more of a choice for those of us who do not eat meat. It is not all that conducive to mixing or mingling.

This year cell phone connectivity was significantly better than in other years. There were numerous points along the trip where I was able to text my daughter in Sudbury and tell her what was happening or where I thought we were. Quite often she was able to text me and through the magic of the internet and VIA Rail's web site, tell me exactly where I was. One has to wonder if this connectivity to the outside world limits the sense of isolation within the train, reducing the need to reach out to the neighbour across the aisle.

Because the two conductors/attendants were younger than normal and were really busy - they did not engage with the passengers as much as have other conductors in the past. Certainly, the announcements were poorly read and a couple of times they stopped in mid-sentence. I could have asked them why the trip this year was faster than last year, but I do not think they would have been able to tell me. While it is purely subjective -it did feel as if the train was going faster than in other years. Or at least the train seemed to be swaying more than normal. As well, while we certainly pulled over onto sidings to let a freight train pass, it felt as if we did not wait as often for the train to get past us. There were at least two occasions where the freight train pulled over into the siding and we went past them on the main line. That was a nice change!

At some point in the early afternoon, some of the younger kids got together and watched movies on the young girl's DVD player. I think there may have been 3-4 10-year-olds and a couple of younger kids. I heard the dad suggest that they should watch some other movie rather than a movie made for girls. Later he was loudly teasing his daughter that she had a new boyfriend. She kept on asking him to stop it but he said it numerous times and even called and told her mother. He was really trying to be a good dad, and clearly wanted to be her friend, but he needed a lot more practice.

Because the eight young people got off a few hours east of Winnipeg, I got the change to sit in a group of four seats and stretch out my legs. It would have been quite nice, except by that time I was starting to get anxious to get to Winnipeg and to get on the road. Unfortunately, almost within sight of Winnipeg, we stopped and were informed that we would be there for 30-40 minutes as there were two freight trains that needed to be moved. The dad (with his 10-year-old daughter) got very frustrated - I think he really needed his nicotine fix - and started to complain loudly to anyone within hearing. Some of his comments were bordering on threats. I do not think I was the only one uncomfortable.

Finally were in Winnipeg and I left the train and then the station as fast as I could. I had to wait 30 minutes for the St. Charles bus - the only one that gets me to the west end of Winnipeg. By the time that I got to a good spot to hitchhike - it was almost dark - so I headed for the Flying J truck stop to spend the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers