Saturday, March 14, 2020

Observations From Just Outside of the Pandemic


Waiting for the pandemic to come to my town sort of feels as if I am standing on the train tracks - knowing that a train is coming and that if I do not stay out of the way - it might hit me. If the pandemic is like a VIA train - I do not have the foggiest notion when it will arrive. But we all know that more people will get sick before the CONVID-19 virus has run its course. In the meantime, I will do what I can to limit my exposure while still maintaining some sort of life. It is interesting to observe other people make adjustments to their routines.

I had to get a blood test done earlier this week. The receptionist was wearing a full, clear plastic mask - acting as if nothing was unusual about her appearance. The mask was rather hard to ignore. She asked me if I had visited any countries where people were sick and when I said no - she asked me if I had been around anyone who had visited any countries where people were sick. Again I said no. I was struck by the fact that despite the seriousness of the pandemic - that at this point people were prepared to trust each other and assume that we were all being honest. I am not sure if that is true in all countries, or how long it will remain true in Canada if more and more people get sick.

It is sometimes hard to trust people when one reads about the couple who cleaned out the shelves at their local Costco store of disinfectant wipes - they bought two pallet loads so they could sell them on eBay for a huge profit. They, according to the news item, were proud of themselves for seizing the opportunity to take advantage of people's fears.  One would have hoped that the Costco staff would have said something. But then apparently, people are allowed to walk out of various stores with more hand soap or toilet paper than a family could use in a year with no one saying anything.

A day or so after my blood work, I had a doctor's appointment. The reception staff are always behind glass so they did not feel the need to wear a mask. No one asked me anything. On Wednesday I had an appointment at the neurologist - no masks and no glass barriers between the reception on the public - but I did notice that in both the waiting rooms, all of the magazines had been removed. The neurologist was a good doctor and I appreciated the information he gave and the way he answered my questions. I think in other times we would have shaken hands as I left- we didn't do it this time.

I have noticed that the US media uses " coronavirus" to discuss issues and concerns whereas the Canadian press seems to prefer COVID-19. I wonder why?

I am amazed at how fast various events have been cancelled. On Vancouver Island where there is (I
 It is difficult to know how people are adapting. There certainly were fewer people at Habitat's ReStore on Friday and the Saturday Duncan Farmer's Market looked rather empty (it was also bloody cold) but the Supercenter was so crowded that I decided not to bother shopping. I suspect that people will be cautious and practice some form of social distancing. Many will do so because some if not most of their activities have been cancelled. think) only one reported case, all events have been cancelled. Which would suggest that either people are over-reacting or that people are determined to mitigate the spread of the virus? Schools are on a scheduled two-week spring break so there is another week or so before a decision needs to be made.

I have a bit of a runny nose and my throat might be a bit scratchy. Is that train getting closer or do I just have a bit of a cold?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers