Thursday, March 17, 2011

Spring

When is spring - yes dear reader I know it is suppose to occur on the 21st of March, but how do we know when spring actually is? Is it after 2-3 days of warm weather - is it after the first warm rain? NO - in my opinion you can tell that spring has arrived when you can smell the mud as the frost leaves the ground and the frozen dog pooh starts to dissolve.

Many years ago I was taught (by a native elder) how to estimate when spring is going to arrive. Over the past 20-25 years I have been right far more often than wrong Five weeks ago I predicted that spring would start to appear in about six weeks. That is next week.

That doesn't mean that we won't get another storm. I was once caught in a snow storm in May as I hitched west. and it doesn't mean that there won't be another cold spell. But the frost in Peterborough will start to leave the ground next week. It has been warm for a few days, but the water is still sitting on top of the ground - give it another 5-7 days and it will have slowly drained into the soil.

All of which explains my serious infection of spring fever. My poor students. I may have been more hyper than usual

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers