Thursday, June 14, 2012

On (almost) on the Road Again 2012


I am packed!!!! Well not completely but as soon my laundry is dry – I could leave. Signs are made (including an extra long so that the words “Yellowknife” and “Edmonton” are large enough to be seen), sleeping bag and pad are rolled up, bivy tent, water filter and mini stove are ready to go and the assorted paraphernalia that I travel with are in their water proof bags.  The only things I need to buy are a new map, a small note book and a box of granola bars. Like I said - I could be gone in an hour.

Actually I am not leaving until a week this Saturday – but I thought I should practice getting ready.  Can you tell that I am getting excited? The house is littered with unspun wool - I am ignoring the 7 fleeces that are not even washed - weaving just off the loom that needs finishing and camping gear.  It is getting hard to find a place to sit down.

Still have piles of stuff to do around here including finishing that weaving, going to the dentist for a final fitting of my night mouth guard and figuring out what I should mail west for when I get there. This is a bit tricky as (1) the weather out west has been less than summery (just remembered I had forgotten to pack my rain jacket) and (2) if I am going to spend 3-4 days in Yellowknife – will I need more clothes? Naw…. 2 pairs of pants, socks, underwear, 2 t-shirts and a short and a long sleeve shirt will be fine. I will just wash my clothes in the bathroom sink. (For anyone who cares….. I wear one set of everything and therefore only have one set to change into.)

Yellowknife is going to be interesting as it would appear as if there are no cheap accommodations. I am sure there are campgrounds but they all look to be outside of town and I don’t have a tent. I don’t think that I will able to afford more than a few nights at some motel. Still I am really looking forward to seeing the sun out way past my bedtime and perhaps some wildlife. I have always been fascinated by the name “Great Slave Lake” and it will be neat just to see it. I am a wee bit nervous… it is a long way to travel almost 3,000 Km from Winnipeg to Yellowknife, (I am taking the train to Winnipeg- I am tired of Northern Ontario) and then a further 2,500 Km to Duncan. I have never hitchhiked that far before, It might be interesting.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers