Saturday, November 17, 2012

Television


Like many people of my age, generation and political bent, I tell the world that I do not watch much TV. And that is true. In fact I since June have watched virtually no TV except when I have been visiting someone. However, like many people I am very aware of the seductive power of television. I know that I could very easily be seduced into watching programs about cooking, fixing-up-my-house, science and nature and even on occasion Coronation Street. I have in the past controlled my tendency towards addiction by not having either cable or satellite services wired into my house. In fact with the exception of one year when my landlady paid for it, I have never had access to any channels other than ones my antenna brought it to the house. It is easy to be virtuous when one cannot be tempted.

I now however, have a satellite dish attached to my outside wall (or actually my lady lady’s outside wall). And it did not cost me a dime. When I no longer could receive two of the three stations I use to get due to the switch from analogue to digital broadcasting, I lost both TVO and Global. I was irritated. I was disturbed not only by the fact that there was now only a local broadcaster available who seem to show a lot of sitcom repeats, game shows and paid commercial broadcasts, but also because someone, somewhere in the government decided that I needed to pay for watching television. I have always thought that having to sit through countless commercials repeated endlessly was more than enough payment. Now I was suppose to pay a company for the privilege of watching those commercials. That just did not feel right to me.

However there is a program available through one of the local satellite suppliers to provide free satellite service for four years for those people who previously have not had cable or satellite coverage. It is only a basic level of coverage but I get the main networks. In fact I seem to get two or three stations from each network. So I can now watch news from Winnipeg or Sudbury or Toronto. Nice. Interestingly, I cannot get the local television station via my satellite. I am sure at one point I will get inundated with calls from the satellite company trying to get me to upgrade my coverage. I don’t think so.

If what I can now get is representative of what is available on all of the channels, I was better off without the dish. Last night after watching one program on TVO, I looked at three other programs. After uncontrollably groaning through five minute bits of bad dialogue for each program I turned the television off, turned on the CD player and listened to a book as I played with some wool. A much more civilized and entertaining process. 

 I am grateful that the free coverage is available. I think I am even more grateful that there is nothing available (except for perhaps Coronation Street) that will even come close to tempting me to become addicted.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers