Thursday, November 22, 2012

Driving through Fog

No this is not a bit about how cloudy my mind can be on some days but instead it is a minor rant....

For the past two days driving to work has been a bit more dangerous than usual. It has, to say the least, been rather foggy. There have been sections of the road where it was so foggy that seeing 20 feet in front of me was difficult.Seeing a car 25 feet away ahead of me was impossible until they applied their breaks.

Which raises the question. Why don't people turn on their headlights when it is that foggy? Is it because they assume that if their driving lights are on, it means that their back lights are on too? Or do they just not think?

I am afraid that my natural cynicism would suggest that people are both not bright enough to realize that their back lights are not on  - they must be aware that they can't see cars in front of them - and they are not concerned enough about the well being of others on the road.

While I suppose the obvious solution is to suggest to and then force all auto manufacturers to make all new cars have both front and back lights running light, it seems to me that it should be far simpler to teach people some basic manners and common sense.

Please note that I said "should be".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers