Friday, May 22, 2015

Why Small Cars are Dangerous to Drive



The good news is that the rate of deaths in 2013 because of traffic accidents in Canada (the last year statistics are available) was less than in 2012 (Transport Canada). In fact it appears as if there have been a consistently fewer accident fatalities each year for the last number of years.  In a brief review of statistics from the USA, it would appear that this downward trend is happening there as well. Unfortunately while driving is safer for many people, it has becoming increasingly more dangerous for a specific type of drivers - those who drive small cars. And it is not our (drivers of small cars) fault!

While I could not find any information on Canadian statistics, there is substantial information from south of the border on the inherent risks when small cars are hit by  pick-up trucks, vans or SUVs. Using data available from 1990-1995 ( Smart Motorists) or more current information from 2003 (Public Health), it is clear that small cars, and their drivers/passengers are at greater risk when in an accident with a larger passenger vehicle. Not because small car drivers are worse drivers, not because the small vehicles are harder to see, and not because they are built of lighter materials. They are at risk simply because when they are hit by an SUV whose tires are higher than the hood of the small car, damage, and sometimes fatalities are inevitable. It is simply a matter of one vehicle being two to three times larger than the other. It would seem that my life is being put at risk for no other reason than people's need to show off how rich they are, or at least how good their credit is.

Driving in the city during rush hour traffic can be frightening. Being surrounded by larger than needed vehicles on all four sides means that I can't see the street signs, traffic lights are invisible until I am almost underneath them and heaven help the pedestrian who is jaywalking - because I will never see them until it is too late.  On the highways I, and my small reasonably sized vehicle, are constantly at risk.  Amongst other reasons SUV drivers seem to believe that having four wheel drive means that they can go through anything and stop whenever needed - including on black ice. I have stopped trying to explain to people that owning an all wheel drive vehicle does not mean that they can stop on ice. When on the highway, I just make sure I stay away from such idiots.

But my biggest complaint is being surrounded by vans or SUVs in parking lots. Even if I back into my spot, when leaving I have to be half way out into the lane before I can see around the SUV on my right and the van on my right. If people want to drive such four wheel monsters to the grocery store, they should have to park in specially designated rows - well away from the sensible people.

I can understand that some tradesmen need to use a truck to carry their working materials to a job site. I know that some families have more than three children and therefore need a van. I could be easily convinced that in southern Ontario there are, on average, at least two days during any given winter when having four wheel drive is useful. I am sure there are a thousand other rationalizations for why someone would purchase a large vehicle. Virtually all of those reasons disappear when someone is driving alone, in nice weather, on the highway in their seven passenger vehicle.

We live in time and in country where the individual's right to do whatever we please is sacrosanct. That right is predicated on the assumption that that action will not negatively affect me. Vans and SUVs do affect me.

It is time that the legislators of this land dealt with this issue to ensure my safety and peace of mind.

Isn't it nice that I can still fantasize about living in a perfect world?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers