Friday, July 3, 2015

On the Road Again 2015 #3

The first time I took the train out west - the conductor said to me - "don't sit in the first car - it is the noisiest r as people are always getting on and off that one". Generally I have followed his direction. This morning however, I got on the first car, there were seats - so I stayed. I am really glad I did. The next two cars are either full of young people or middle aged men going fishing. As opposed to the car I am in which has quite a few empty seats, the next two are crowded with no extra room. They are not particularly noisy but they both seem really messy with bits and pieces of clothing and sleeping bags scattered about. Maybe it is fun - but I don't think I would find it so.

I went down to the dome car for a concert. There was a blues guitar player (I can't remember his name but someone said  he had won a Juno) playing. The dome car is not set up for a concert but he did a pretty good job for thirty minutes or so.  The upper part of the dome car looked really crowded and there was more drinking than I have ever seen before.  No overwhelming rowdiness but certainly a bit more shouting than usual. I am not too sure if all of the people who had a beer in their hands were of legal age. The conductors are also turning a blind eye to people sitting in their seats drinking. Usually the beer is confined to the dome car.

It is a different sort of train trip. I suspect that if there were not the young folks travelling to wherever, there would be one less car on the train and the dome car would be much emptier. I am quite glad that I have my quiet car to be in.

The last time I checked, we were three hours behind schedule. I feel sorry for the fishermen and the teens who, I suspect, are going to get off in the dark.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers