Wednesday, October 7, 2015

On the Road Again 2015 #34



The driver had let me out just to the west of highway 71 - a road that leads to the USA. There appeared to be a lot of cars coming from that direction, all of which were heading towards Kenora. At least 50% of all of the cars that past me going east turned onto that road.  I decided to walk past the turn off just to make sure that there was not an exit ramp from 71 that I could not see.  I didn't want to miss any traffic. There wasn't, but me walking a couple of hundred yards at least gotten me to  spot with a  better shoulder and less traffic. As I was standing there a young man, with a cardboard sign walked past me. He asked me how longer I had been standing there, I said "not very long"; I asked him where he was heading to - he said "Hamilton". And he kept on walking. I thought at first that he was just being polite and walking far enough ahead so that he would not interfere with any of my potential rides - but no, he kept on walking until I could no longer see him.

There are many spots along the Trans-Canada where one can feel somewhat lonely, almost lost or even that you might be the last person on the planet. I have for example, stood on sections of the Trans-Canada somewhere between Winnipeg and Calgary and not seen a car coming or going in either direction for five or ten minutes at a time, but standing on highway 17 somewhere east of Kenora has to be one of those places, even when there are transport trucks rushing by, that makes one feel rather alone. I think it is in part because that highway as it winds its way around the hundreds of lakes or through sections carved from the Pre-Cambrian shield feels hard. There is no softness in the landscape, there is no give. Its beauty is majestic. But there is a crispness to the atmosphere that provides no filter to the harshness and the potential loneliness of the land.

After being there for an hour or so a large pickup truck pulling a tent trailer stopped. The driver was heading to Red Lake. The turnoff to Red Lake is at Vermillion Bay. I had been to that corner a number of times and while once again it was not a very long ride, it did get me to a place where there was water, food and if I wanted to, a number of options as to where to sleep. My driver had come from somewhere west of Winnipeg after dropping off his adult daughter and a friend. They had been camping and now he was heading back home. We had not driven very far when we passed the young walker. He was in a very dangerous spot where the shoulder was almost non-existent. My driver cursed a bit, checked his rear view mirror, saw that there were no vehicles coming up behind him and pulled over. He mumbled to himself "hurry up - I can't stay here" but as far as I could tell, the young man didn't run. Even I run when a vehicle stops for me and I am carrying a pack. The guy got into the back and we were off.

It was than an hours drive to the turn off at Vermillion Bay but during that time we managed to talk about gold mining (which is why Red Lake exists), the fact that the company do not treat people very well or at least that there are not enough services or housing to meet the people's needs and about immigration. MY diver had some misconceptions about Canada's immigration policy. When I talked about the fact that none of my students ever had sufficient qualifications to be immigrants to Canada he was surprised. Hopefully I changed his mind a little bit. He was not a racist but his honest beliefs about how easy it was to get into Canada would certainly support other racist thoughts.

As we got close to Vermillion Bay, our driver decided that he would go a bit further and drop us off on the far side of Dryden. It was only another thirty or so extra kilometres, but it meant that I would not face the likelihood of one more short drive from someone who was just going to Dryden. It also meant that I would not face the possibility of having to walk through Dryden which if nothing else is time consuming and boring. The driver said a number of times that if he wasn't hauling the large tent trailer, he would drive us to Thunder Bay. The man just liked driving and I think was enjoying my company.

 The young person in the back seat did contribute to our conversation. He did tell us that he had had his pack stolen by the friend he was hitchhiking with. He didn't tell us why he was going to southern Ontario or what he had been doing out west. If the driver had been hoping for some conversation or stimulation to keep him awake, he would not have got it from the young hitchhiker.

We were driven to the Wall-Mart parking lot at the south end of Dryden. The young man said that that was great as he had to go in and buy a sleeping bag. Our driver said that he had an extra one in the trailer. So he undid all of the clamps, cranked up the tent enough to get at the storage area, pulled out what looked like a fairly expensive sleeping bag, handed it to the guy, and then repacked everything. While I was anxious to get going, and I knew nothing about tent trailers, I stayed and helped as best I could. The young man did nothing. He did say thank you - but it was at best a minimal response to what had been a generous gift and a very useful ride.

I bough water at the gas station and he bought some junk food. As we walked up the hill on the other side of town I could not help but to mention to my fellow traveller that one of the reasons that we got the extra miles from the driver was that he was enjoying the conversation. I suggested that it was our job as hitchhikers to entertain our drivers. He didn't say much in response. I suppose I was a bit irritated. I really think he should have, if nothing else acted a lot more grateful for the sleeping bag, and he should have the man get it out etc. But perhaps I should have been more supportive.

When I stopped at the top of the hill and said this is where I was going to stand. He kept on walking.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers