Thursday, October 8, 2015

On the Road Again 2015 #35



I have stood a few times at the top of the hill just outside of Dryden. There is a little park across the road and on my side a very nice looking motel. I remember the last time I stood in this spot, a young man was washing his older black Trans-Am. This time a slightly older young man was washing a black Trans-Am. I was tempted to leave my pack and ask him if he was the same guy I had seen two years earlier. I didn't. It was getting towards dusk and I still had hopes that I would make it to Thunder Bay. It was after all, only four hours away.

An older car eventually stopped, the driver said that he going to Upsala - a small town, two hours down the road that had two large truck stops. I got in. Maybe this time I would get lucky at a truck stop.  My driver was originally from Newfoundland but had lived in Northern Ontario for a long time. He stuttered. That is not that unusual - I stutter - but what struck me as unusual was his absolute comfort with his speech difficulties. Not once in our two hours together did he demonstrate any embarrassment or attempt to find another, easier to say word. I can usually recognize others who stutter. We all have a common technique in talking in more complex sentences as we work around words that we know or anticipate that we will have a hard time over. He didn't.

We stopped once for a few minutes at a small mobile home park so that he could drop off a tenancy agreement. His partner and her children were moving into town so that the kids could go to a better school. He was going to stay in Upsala as it was more convenient for his work. I don't think the couple were separating - she was just doing something that the kids needed. Although the kids were not his biologically - he was okay with paying the extra housing costs. He had other children from another relationship and seems to have been as equally as caring and as generous. I think he was the type of guy who is so open and honest that he cannot conceive of the possibility that there were other people in the world who might take advantage of him. Like one of my other drivers, he imagined that he would be working until he died to make enough money to support those who he cared about.

He worked as a truck driver for a road construction crew. There is always some highway work during the road building season. He was busy during that time and I suspect that he made pretty good living. Of course, during the colder months he was unemployed although I think he occasionally drove road plough. We spent a fair amount of time talking about how big companies that are run by people who need to watch the bottom line, may know nothing about what it takes to get the job done. It felt as if he was under some pressure to either break trucking rules in terms of number of hours worked or else get yelled at by his bosses when he didn't make as many trips as they expected.

We also talked about his visit with his mother before her death in Newfoundland and the fact that his dad, whom he had never gotten along with, was not well. He really did not want to go home, but he had promised his mother that he would. I am always surprised that there are so many people who seem to have chosen to have at best, minimal contact with their families.  While it was none of my business, I as I was getting out of the car encouraged him to go home to see his Dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers