Tuesday, August 15, 2017

On the Road Again 2017 #14




I long ago lost count of how many times I have passed through Revelstoke. At one time it was my favourite town in the Rockies and I have slept somewhere in town on a number of occasions. But I have never walked across the bridge at the west end of town. It always surprises me (although by now one would think that I would have had it engraved onto my brain) how unfriendly towns and cities are to pedestrians.  It was a bit of challenge to cross the street from where I had been left off to the other side where there was a bit of a sidewalk. It was not a route that someone in a wheelchair could have taken. As well, perhaps because most of the drivers had just driven from Calgary or even some point further east at great speed, slowing down to let a pedestrian cross was just not part of their thinking process. I sometimes wonder if the drivers can see me or if they just assume that I can sprint across the last bit of highway in spite of the obvious facts that I may be a bit old and that I have a relatively large pack on my back.  They never slow down for me to ask them. However, what surprised me the most was the noise the bridge made every time a heavy vehicle crossed. It popped and groaned in an alarming fashion. I can't have been the only person to notice it and therefore I assume that it is normal noise. Still if I was regularly crossing that bridge with a large vehicle - I might think about getting it checked out.

There was a lovely spot to stand a hundred or so metres up the road. After my previous challenging ride, I was quite content to stand there for a while and enjoy the relative peace and quiet. After a twenty or so minute wait, a small sedan with couple driving stopped, I threw pack in the back seat and squeezed inside beside. There were visitors to this country from Germany. They had been on a bit of a tour through the Rockies and now were off to Kelowna before catching a flight home from Vancouver . As I do with almost everyone I met, I encouraged them to come back and see the other parts of Canada - from the canola and flax fields of the Prairies, to that sunflower farm on the east side of Winnipeg where one can see the flowers turn - following the sun, to the magnificence of the shores of Lake Superior, to the colour in the fall on the hills near Huntsville or the Gatineau Valley right, the charm of the Eastern Townships, to the somewhat harsh amazingly beautiful coast line of Newfoundland. I have made that speech a hundred times. I can only hope that at least some of my drivers listen.

It was a good ride. There was lots to talk about including how incredibly lush the forest looked. I do not think, in all of my trips through that part of Canada, I have ever seen the forest look more vibrant, more healthy. There was water flowing down the mountain sides, the hills were covered in a multitude of shades of green and everything look fresh and clean. While I am always a proud Canadian and love to brag about the geography of my country, I was especially delighted to be showing off such beauty to tourist from another continent.  We also of course, talked about politics and education and health care. While I never in any one car ride learn all that I need to know about a particular country, the accumulated knowledge I have gain makes me feel, if not a world traveller, at least someone who is more aware than the average Canadian of the differences between Canada and some other countries.

My drivers would have been happy to drive me all the way to Kelowna - but I did not want to go there. While it might be the fastest direct route into Vancouver - if one is hitchhiking, it can be very difficult to get out of Kelowna. I did not want to get stuck there. It can be very hot, the traffic is terrible and I just don't like it. So I got out at the turn to Kelowna and headed towards Salmon Arm and Kamloops. In my hasty decision to get out of the car when I did, I forgot that I have just as often gotten stuck somewhere between Salmon Arms and Vancouver.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers