Thursday, August 17, 2017

On the Road Again 2017 #16



Sleeping on a narrow strip of beaten down/dried up grass between two road ways is perhaps not the best place to get a good night's sleep. On the other hand it was immeasurably better than walking around a Husky truck stop for 7-8 hours so I was not complaining. I got up just as the sun was rising and went through the usual morning rituals of stuffing my sleeping bag and bevy sack back into their respective bags, getting dressed, brushing my hair and in general trying to look near respectable for my public. And as always, in spite of the vehicles passing by, no one made any comments or in fact gave any signs that they even noticed me. I use the convenience store's bathroom, brushed my teeth, made sure that my shirt was  tucked in and hiked back to the highway. I was really hoping that I would catch some early morning commuter who wanted to get to Vancouver quickly. I eventually did much better than that.

There were not as many cars getting onto the highway as I had anticipated.  On other times I have stood at a similar exit on the outskirts of Kamloops and got a ride quickly - here I had to wait for almost an hour. But perhaps that was a good thing....I may have need that much time to properly wake up. I had debated getting something to eat at the Wendy's attached to the convenience store but I decided that there was nothing there that I wanted.  In hindsight so tea would have been nice and perhaps even useful.

Finally a vehicle stopped, I threw in my pack in the back seat and jump in the front. One of the first things my driver said to me was that he and his wife and seen me the previous afternoon and he had wondered then if he would see me on the road somewhere. I wish he had invited me to sleep on his front lawn - it would have saved me the hassle of sleeping at the Petro-Canada. The best news of the day (although it was pretty early in the day) was that my driver was going to Nanaimo - which meant I had a drive right to the ferry! That felt pretty good. The second best news of the day was that my driver was a great conversationalist, he had a job that I had never even considered anyone doing and he was a very nice guy. Who could ask for anything more?

Bob built bridges. More specifically he worked with a crew who built/repaired the bridges over the rivers and creeks on logging roads. I had probably driven over some of the bridges he had built. I had never thought about the amount of skill it would take to make something that could support the weight of those massive log trucks loaded with green timber. It was an interesting conversation and in comparison to one of my previous drivers, I appreciated the sense of team work and camaraderie that Bob talked about. He had a genuine respect for his bosses and  fellow workers. I don't think it was always a fun job, and I am sure that there were times when it was sheer drudgery but he made it sound as if at the end of each project they all felt good about each other. Nice. While a lot of our conversation during the four and half hour drive focused on the bridge building, we wandered through a range of other topics including relationships (Bob had, according to him, a great partner) previous lives where at least one of us had made questionable choices, the driving habits of others and how fortunate we were to live in such a great place.

There are times when I am with a driver where it feels as if the driver is at best, tolerating me and my lifestyle. We get along just fine, have a great conversation but there is a sense that the driver just does not "get me". I am not too sure if Bob "got me", but he clearly had no desire to judge me. It was a good drive, one that I would gladly do again.

We got to the ferry terminal, had to wait for an hour or so for the next ferry, got on - I bought him breakfast, we chatted some more and then as we got near to Nanaimo, we shook hands and went our separate ways -he to his car and then to head north, me to the terminal and hopefully a Greyhound bus to Duncan.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers