Wednesday, May 20, 2020

From Just Outside the Pandemic #14

I am just a little bit fascinated by the Canadian public's change in attitude about wearing a mask in public. If I was still doing sociological research or thinking about a new project, it would be interesting to chart how there has been a shift in the public's attitude. Collectively we have gone from almost no one wearing a mask to it being okay if you wanted to (but it was a little bit weird to do so) to now where wearing a mask is being presented as the morally correct thing to do. There are some stores that are demanding it, Uber will insist upon it and if you want your hair cut - you will wear a mask.

It is my perception that more people are wearing masks in stores now (stores in BC were never closed) than at the height of the pandemic crisis. Even though the government is slowly opening up the economy, that people are being given access to public areas such as parks and that some jurisdictions are considering whether or not schools should be re-opened, it would appear as if people are more concerned than they were eight weeks ago and are thus wearing masks.

One could blame the slow use of masks upon various government spokespeople who were initially reluctant to suggest that non-medical grade masks would slow the spread of the virus. That would be disingenuous. Even after it was suggested that while there was no medical proof that wearing a homemade mask would be useful, people should consider it in some situations, there was not a sudden upsurge in the wearing of masks.

 I wonder why mask-wearing has increased. The comments on Facebook suggest that we should wear a mask to protect others from us potentially sharing the virus; that wearing a mask is a moral, perhaps even a noble thing to do,  that wearing a mask is proof that we are a caring people. I wonder if wearing a mask is really about us lying to ourselves saying that it is safe to go outside. I wonder if we are all so bored and so desperate to get some form of our previous lives back that we have convinced ourselves that we can make everything safe. I wonder if wearing a mask is more about our needs than anything else.

I am not opposed to wearing a mask - although with a full beard there is some doubt as to whether or not it would provide any protection for me or anyone else. However, if I needed to use public transportation or if I was going anywhere where there might be crowds of people I would wear a mask. But I think I would wear it more to fit in, to avoid quietly shamed as opposed to any belief that the mask would do much. Perhaps I need to get one made that I can tuck my full beard into.

I suspect that people wearing masks will be a common sight for some time. My only question is will we all start wearing masks because someone else says that if you don't wear one - it is because you do not care.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers