Monday, April 21, 2014

On the Road Again 2014 Prologue #2




It has been such a strange spring that I am loath to announce that it (spring) is finally here. In fact I somehow suspect that we have gone from a state of very early spring- still almost winter to late spring- almost summer in a handful of days. I am not complaining but it does feel as if we have missed at least part of a season. However as the long term forecast suggest that 11 degrees will be the average temperature for the next week or so - perhaps I am being overly optomistic. Still I don't think that this year I will experience spring fever this year. Pity.

I am however ready to travel west. I have a bit of administrative clean up to do at work but by tomorrow noon I will be out of school and I won't be back until September. I can feel the start of that gentle pull to be on the road; I have started thinking of spots that I have stood before and to wonder if I will stand there again this year. I can see in my mind street corners I will need to get to so that I can catch a city bus to the outskirts of Winnipeg or Calgary or Vancouver. I can, without even thinking about it, see the highway stretching out before me at Portage La Prairie, Medicine Hat, Canmore, or Salmon Arms. I remember the stories of previous drivers; unbidden I find myself repeating my story to make sure I have not forgotten any part of it. Yes I am ready to be on the road again and it feels good to be in that state of anticipation and nervousness.

I have made a commitment to be at the Peterborough farmer's Market for most Saturdays in May and June. I have lots of weaving  to sell and I find myself looking forward to meeting new customers (especially the kids who have never seen a spinning wheel and the seniors who start of the conversation with "I can remember my mother doing that when I was young").  But in spite of my enthusiasm for being at the Market - I almost regret making that commitment. If I didn't have to sell stuff I could head out west in a few weeks.................

I know I should feel blessed that I have such wonderful choices - and I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers