Friday, June 20, 2014

On the Road Again 2014 Prologue #5



It is amazing how things can change in 24 hours. This time yesterday I was dithering about when and how I would travel or perhaps even if I would travel west this summer. However after a lot of thought, an hours or so of computer time checking out Via Rail and  extensive consultations with my travel consultant (my daughter) I have decided to leave next Wednesday, by train, all the way to the west coast.

There are all kinds of reasons why this is an intelligent decision. There is no way that my back will be healed by next week nor I suspect the week afterwards. Even lifting my almost empty pack causes my back muscles to twinge. I can't imagine how it would feel to lift it when it is full. As much as I want to hitchhike, it just doesn't make any sense. While sitting in the train for three days might be a bit uncomfortable, it certainly would be better than spending 15 hour days in a small car perhaps squished into the back seat along with my pack and other stuff. Standing on the side of the road for extended periods of time would, I think, get quite uncomfortable if not downright painful. On the train I can sit when I need to and walk around when I feel the need to.

I am spending a lot more money than I had planned on - but then why work all winter if the money is not for spending? I am disappointed in needing to "cheat", but the alternatives are either not to go at all or to put myself at risk in terms of how long the back will take to recover. I guess every once in a while I need to act responsibly.

I guess I should start to get my stuff together.... I am a week behind schedule.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers