Tuesday, June 14, 2016

On the Road Again 2016 #7



I saw more wildlife between Hornpayne and Winnipeg than I have in almost all of my other trips combined across Canada by train. There was a beautiful healthy looking white/grey wolf standing in a clearing just off of the tracks, a couple of bald eagles playing tag and/or flirting just after dawn, a golden coloured bear close to the tracks who I could almost swear made eye contact with me as the train passed and perhaps most surprisingly a large flock of white pelicans somewhere east of Sioux Lookout. I think, because of these rewarding occasional sightings, I probably spent more time looking out the window than I normally do.

The front section of the train (economy section) was once again surprisingly empty. I thought about asking one of the VIA people if they would sell me a cheap ticket all the way to Vancouver. I knew that was beyond their power, but a near empty train was going that way and that seemed a silly waste of space. An extra twenty or so more people would not make either the engine or the staff work harder. Even if those twenty people only paid $100 for the trip....that would still be $2000 more than VIA had started off with. Perhaps VIA should have some sort of standby system with tickets available at half cost 12 hours before the train leaves.

As it was, the car was delightfully quiet. Everyone had their own seat and for the most part, I think most folks kept to themselves, with the exception of course of the twenty-something crowd who spent their time in the dome car. The young lady in front of me was off to Edmonton for a new job - I only know that because I heard her talking on her cell phone to one of her roommates. The few times I spoke to her, she always seemed to be shocked that I would say anything and never responded.

The couple across from me were getting off in Sioux Lookout. At one point in the early evening they got off for a smoke. I didn't see them get back on. As the rain was leaving, I spoke to an attendant who said he was pretty sure that they had got back on but that they had warned people that it was going to be a short stop and not too stray too far. I fell asleep not being sure if they were on the train or not. The couple must have been in the dome car as they were back in their seats and all packed up in time for their stop. The attendants did not seem all that concerned as to whether or not they were on the train. On some trains the crews are very engaged with the passengers - giving lots of instructions such as wearing shoes when crossing in between cars to prevent the soles or toes from being pinched as the connecting compartment's floor moves, drinking lots of water or reminding people that if they get off the train for a break, that it is fine to miss getting back on - as long as they don't mind waiting three days for the next one. This crew did not seem to be around much. I wondered if it was because they all knew that a strike could have been called fairly soon.

The young lady behind me was Asian. I do not think she spoke a lot of English. At one point, early on the first day, an older couple came up to and offered to buy her lunch. They said that they wanted to show her some "Canadian hospitality". I thought it was a nice gesture. She said no. The couple looked disappointed. They were, I think, trying to be nice. The young lady, except to use the bathroom never left her seat. I noticed the next morning that she slept wearing a face mask which always looks a bit strange to me.

The musical entertainment was a couple - not as young as some others that I have seen. She played the guitar and he the electric bass. The audience initially was not that appreciative with one older lady requesting songs such "Little Boxes" and another passenger, who may have been drinking, trying to engage the singer in a conversation that neither I nor the singer could understand. When they sang their own material, she had a remarkable voice. But singing to a small audience (perhaps ten people) in a swaying car must be challenging. When she tried on a couple of occasions to sing songs that she thought people might like to hear (Cash's Ring of Fire and House of the Rising Sun) she did not know all of the verses. If she only knew one verse of House of the Rising Sun - she probably should not have tried it.

I did my usual thing on short trips - I slept a lot, listened to music and read. Not wanting to sound jaded but the train trip from Sudbury Junction to Winnipeg is just a ride. I was glad when the train arrived just before 7:30 - thirty minutes early.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers