Saturday, June 18, 2016

On the Road Again 2016 #8



The train had arrive early, I was out of the train station by just after 8:00 AM. The sky was clear and I was ready to go. It is always a bit anticlimactic to hike through the train station, pass through the doors, breath the fresh air, turn left and then drop the pack again. For a brief few minutes I felt free and unencumbered by the routines and schedules of the common man. Then I had to wait for a city bus.

Winnipeg has, at least in Canada, the best downtown bus stops. At every stop there is an electronic sign that is updated every minute or so, clearly indicating when which bus is coming. It means that for the traveller such as myself who only uses the transit system once or sometimes twice a year and therefore is a bit anxious, knows exactly when his/her bus is going to come. It makes the whole process that much more relaxing. The bus came when promised, I took a short ride to the downtown core, got off at the right bus stop and waited for my St. Charles Express. It too came exactly when promised by the electronic sign. Portage  Street is a very long street. The first few times I took this bus, I use to get a bit concerned as to how long it took to get to the last stop just less than a kilometre east of the Perimeter Highway and the start of the Trans-Canada. Now I am use to it and just relax, looking at semi-familiar stores and signs. When I went along Portage Street last year they were doing some major reconstruction. I am saddened to report that it felt as if they were still working on the same sections this year. Perhaps they were new sections but they all look the same to me.

I got off at my usual spot, spent the next twenty or so minutes navigating my way across entrances to and exits from the Perimeter Highway. As always these exits and entrances ramps are busy and not made for being crossed over by pedestrians. While I have no reason to believe it, it always feels as if the drivers can't see me, or even worse don't care if I am there. I am more cautious crossing these lanes than anywhere else in my travels.

As I have mentioned in other blogs, cities are getting bigger and bigger. Consequently I have to walk further and further to find a spot where the traffic is less chaotic. I use to be able to stand just a few metres from the last exit ramp from the Perimeter Highway, I now have to walk past two other stoplights to find a spot where at least some of the commuter traffic has been filtered away and the drivers have settled into some sort of pattern. Of course by the time this occurs, most of the vehicles are approaching their cruising speed. It would have been nice if I could have gotten a drive from a trucker coming out of the Flying J rest stop, but I didn't even try. I have never had any luck there.

I was feeling a bit lazy so I dropped my pack earlier than I normally would have. After fifteen or so minutes I picked it up again and walked to just after the next set of lights. Within a few minutes a car quickly, from the outside lane, swerved over to pick me up. (This almost never happens. Cars in the outside lane do not stop for me. It is amongst everything else, usually too dangerous. It happened twice this year). My first driver of the trip west was going to Regina - a ride of almost 600 kilometres. A pretty good start to the trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers